I am presently on the plan development committee for the organization called The Climate Mobilization. We are currently working on the first year mobilization effort involving what government actions will be taking place to reach a goal of 80% reduction in GHG emissions in five years. Personally, I am stuck on two preceding issues that I need more information on before I can determine what actions government(s) should or could take. I posed these questions to the group.
- As a movement, what are we trying to stop? Meaning what are the maximum impacts we are willing to allow? Have we reached them already? Do we think we can stop “all” impacts by reducing emissions by 80% in five years? Or is it going to take more than just this one goal, for instance, sequestration and/or geo-engineering? In short, is our goal just the targeted emissions reductions or is it to eliminate all trouble caused by climate change or somewhere in between? Setting these science parameters as a group are vital to knowing what sort of plan to develop.
- For me, an essential component to know in developing a plan for government action is how much can we expect from citizens? Can we ask them to give up their current employment and go to work for the cause? Can we ask them to forgo products of luxury and anything that does not deal with food, water, clothing, shelter, or any other need that does not fulfill fundamental living? Can we ask them to give over central control to the federal government, making all citizens wards of congress? Setting these social parameters as a group are vital to knowing what sort of plan to develop.
Lead Up to Government Action
I’m gonna go ahead and move forward and delineate that first year government action effort and to do that I am going to assume the answers to my questions above to be settled as such:
- We are trying to stop destruction of any type related to climate change impacts from gaining no more than 15% increase before the percentage begins to decrease to a stable level. So we will assume further impacts to be taking place for a given time. Our target is comprehensive, we not only wish to stop climate change in its tracks and return to 350 ppm or less, but we also in the process are going to eliminate inequality, completely reform our economic and social paradigms, eliminate consumer consciousness, reduce population and return to a more agrarian society that makes water like gold. We may even get to throw in a redesign of nuclear programs and destroy all nuclear arms. Oh, and who knows? We might even be able to restore world peace. Not kidding.
- Citizens can be expected see a change in their intrinsic values as the concepts of self-interest and competition will be replaced by community interest and cooperation. The concept of employment will change from one of monetary return to services in kind. Energy, housing, food, water, clothing, transportation, communication systems, education, and health care all provided for by the government but you work to get your share. Your work will likely be in one of the aforementioned areas. Luxury items will become extremely rare, as our society will be more agrarian in nature and not so attuned to material possession. Basic provision will be our main concern, all else is secondary or nonexistent. State solidarity will lose its place to central control by the federal government, but of course, this will only happen by public approval, more so, by public demand. This phenomenon will come about as a result of Climate Mobilization’s social movement campaign prior to the public introduction to the government action plan we’re dealing with now.
Please note that the above and below assumptions are mine and not the plan development committee of the Climate Mobilization group.
The social movement campaign will have generated in the public a sense of urgency that will result in a demand on government to act and act dramatically. The public will be ready to do what is necessary and will consider itself and the next few generations as ‘sacrifice generations’. No collective human achievement of the past will compare to enormity of this social movement to deal with climate change.
The government will be presented with a plan overwhelmingly endorsed by the public to ensue with action on the measures in the outline below. The plan will have three basic components that will work together simultaneously to achieve the goal of 80% reductions in GHG emissions within five years. One, to reduce or eliminate the production of anything outside of energy, housing, food, water, clothing, transportation, communication systems, education, and health care. Two, a massive production and transfer effort to switch over to renewables completely within 5 years after the 80% cut has been achieved bringing us to zero emissions. Three, endorsing and promoting to the public that this effort is not about some drama striving for the ideologies of utopia, this drama is about the future of life on the planet. It just so happens that something resembling utopia is needed to pull this craziness off. Between these three actions, a new government and a new society will have emerged; it has to.
Government Action Outline
I. Government Mandates for Reduced, Eliminated and Redirected Production
- Government will do a study to determine what goods and services outside of energy, housing, food, water, clothing, transportation, communication systems, education, and health care should be eliminated or reduced in production or use.
- The targets are to eliminate 60% of total production and use of unwanted goods and services and reduce the use and production of the remaining goods and services unless they fall into one of the categories of energy, housing, food, water, clothing, transportation, communication systems, education, and health care.
- Resource allocation to defense will cease except for maintenance of domestic protection from foreign invaders. In terms of budgets (though money might be passé in this society) most likely something like a 70% cut. In return, those resources will be allocated to the development of renewables and to public transportation and communication systems.
- Massive campaign to collect recyclables using citizens to collect from their own trash and storage to dumps and warehouses or wherever they can be found and collected. R&D devoted to converting these recyclables to synthetic materials of all kinds to be use in infrastructural changes due to the assumption of long term impacts going beyond climate change. Again, using citizenry as the workers and also much of the kinetic energy to move everything from earth to buildings. It’s the war of crowbars, hammers, buckets and shovels…with muscle power over diesel power. A workforce of tens of millions.
- Specialize an array of citizen’s workforces and R&D efforts, totaling in the tens of millions, to develop and implement a citizens owned and operated entity whose purpose is to provide publicly shared resources that are nationally open networks and systems for transportation and communications. Result is every citizen has full and equal use of these resources.
- Specialize an array of citizen’s workforces and R&D efforts, totaling in the tens of millions, to develop and implement access and infrastructural changes for housing, food, water and clothing. This will be a citizens owned and operated entity whose purpose is to publicly provide these resources to citizens. And yes, fashion can remain for clothing. Food and water will become a public responsibility. At least 70% of households and neighborhoods will be involved in water (catching and storing) and food production. Housing is going to change dramatically. Average home size will be reduced from about 3000 square feet now to 800 square feet upon completion of the housing effort. Result is every citizen has full and equal use of these resources. Primarily made by hand.
- Specialize an array of citizen’s workforces and R&D efforts, totaling in the tens of millions, to develop and implement a citizens owned and operated entity whose purpose is to provide publicly shared resources for health care of all kinds from head to toe. Result is every citizen has full and equal use of these resources.
- Specialize an array of citizen’s workforces and R&D efforts, totaling in the tens of millions, to develop and implement a citizens owned and operated entity whose purpose is to provide publicly shared resources for education of all kinds from Sesame Street to post doctoral research to sending us to Mars. Result is every citizen has full and equal access to these educational opportunities.
- In all these efforts of government action I would not declare exactly how the government gets the power to declare these upheavals and impose a new world onto us all. But I would never endorse military or police action. Laws that can be enforced would be understandable and useful, but enforced while bearing in mind what we’ve thrown at the public, there will be social unrest unforeseen and I would suspect that empathy towards their cause will be not hard to find. However, this mission will not even start until, as I alluded to earlier, when a large majority of the public is actually demanding to be redirected. Nevertheless, preparation for defense against direct action scenarios needs to be included, regretfully.
II. Government Mandate for Development of New Power Grid
- Specialize an array of citizen’s workforces and R&D efforts, totaling in the tens of millions, to develop and implement a citizens owned and operated entity whose purpose is to provide publicly shared resources for energy.
- First task to dismantle the fossil fuels industry while replacing it with renewables. This will be a massive production and transfer effort to switch over to renewables completely which would then bring us to zero emissions. The remaining 20% to be swallowed up within 5 years ‘after’ the 80% cut has been achieved. Result is every citizen has full and equal use of these resources for energy.
- Specialize an array of citizen’s workforces and R&D efforts, totaling in the millions, to develop and implement a citizens owned and operated entity whose purpose is to provide publicly shared resources derived from carbon sequestration efforts. This could be everything from compost to some kind of recycled energy; depends on the R&D. The target being getting enough sequestered to get us to a minimum 350 ppm.
III. Government’s Endorsement and Promotion of Essential Mindset Needed for Victory
- This will be something very new to functions of government as it puts them associated with a very intense propaganda machine. The Climate Mobilization social movement campaign will have fired up and unified the citizenry, but thereafter all will be under stress and working hard to achieve these massive goals, so motivation will be key. Whether it be the government kicking your butt or the psychotherapist forgiving your shortcomings, either way, you will need motivation. This is a unique time in human history, unique governments must apply. Government will make this effort an entire division.
- The message must have backbone. Core to motivation in this case is more about what it is we are trying to avoid rather than what we are gaining. Though we can hope that this new culture will be welcomed in the end, hopes of utopia will not be a reliable motivator, but the idea of rotting bodies will be. In other cases, positive motivation might work, and I’m not saying to not interlace it with the negative. However, the government must remember, it’s an emergency we are dealing with and when you are in a hurricane your motivation isn’t hope for utopia, it’s more about securing your ass from flying debris. Whatever the message may be, it must be upfront, bold and repeated, just as the captain does out in the trenches of battle.
You may have noticed I did not have much discussion, or any for that matter, about economic growth, jobs in market context, budget by dollars, well, nothing quantitative by money or market functions. I am not literally suggesting doing away with means of exchange, I’m just not including it as a means for measurement. But I will say that I believe that in this case market systems may not be possible to retain, let alone use. If we just gotta work this out with banks and the money supply, wages and retail prices, all that, well then, all I can say is good luck cuz I don’t know no better about it anyway, I got opinions like I got farts, so, go figure. However, as far as looking at needs, resources, power and end results I stand behind all of the above.
I fully am aware of how dramatic this plan is. But I am also quite convinced and confident in my awareness of this situation. As dramatic as you may see this government action plan, there is an equal and opposite reaction coming from climate change, perhaps greater. So if it takes the concept of bucks to make this plan happen, then for Jumpn’ Jesus let’s do it, whatever. But in the end if we succeed, I’d bet a buck and a half that the greater source of this success will be much more about what was in our hearts, minds and bodies than the net dollars in our wallets. This will be evident by the massive sounds coming from sighs of relief wafting throughout the lands.
Return to Evolve Now